Prior to 1937, Rev Nick Arechuk who was pastoring the Church of the Nazarene in Cloverdale, did pioneer work in the Whalley area of Surrey. In 1937 the church was planted in Whalley in the home of Mr and Mrs Ed Graham. It only took a few months before it became inconvenient for the Graham’s to host the growing gathering. A few other moves had to take place as the congregation grew until a site was located to build a new church building. A corner lot on Grosvenor Road and Melrose Avenue was finally secured and a building program was launched. The Church was named ‘Port Mann Church of the Nazarene’ and officially organized on Sunday March 24th by Rev J R Spittal (Superintendent of the newly formed British Columbia District). At this time, the church continued to be led by the Cloverdale church pastors.
In 1943 the Cloverdale church was closed and several of the congregation became a part of the Port Mann Church of the Nazarene (it is worth noting that although the Nazarene church in Cloverdale closed it was responsible for planting congregations in Abbotsford, Langley, Surrey and Vancouver). In 1952 the congregation changed it’s name to ‘Whalley Church of the Nazarene’ and plans to relocate got underway. In 1958 a new site for the church was purchased on the corner of 146th Street and 107A Avenue. The church building was completed and dedicated in 1960. It wasn’t long afterwards that the church changed it’s name to Guildford Church of the Nazarene and the church continued to grow under the faithful ministry of its pastors and lay leaders.
On October 31st 1986, a new church site was acquired on the corner of 160th Street and 90th Avenue (our present location). Our present building was completed in 1991. In 2013/2014 the congregation changed it’s name to ‘Legacy – A Church of the Nazarene’. A new name for a new season in the life and ministry of our church family. A name that does not speak to the location of a building but to the vision and values of a community that seeks to make a lasting impression on the immediate and surrounding communities.